Sales representatives work in the sales department of all kinds of companies, and report to sales managers. They assist in the implementation of the marketing plan and in sales development. Their main role is to promote products or services and to grow customer portfolios (e.g. retailers, wholesalers) for their employer.
Sales reps are generally assigned a sales territory, in which they prospect for sales by contacting current and potential customers and setting up meetings for the purpose of signing new sales contracts.
Sales representatives are in charge of customer files and ensure attentive follow-up. They respond to customer needs and know how to put the client first. As an interface between the company and its customers, sales representatives represent the company and their presentation, along with the professional relationships they forge, is strategic.
Education and skills
- Education: Diploma of vocational studies (DEP in Quebec) in professional sales or diploma of college studies (DEC in Quebec) in business management – marketing option
- Proven aptitude for sales and customer service
- Proficiency in market analysis
- In-depth knowledge of sales territory
- Excellent knowledge of products and services to be promoted
- Ability to draw up sales contracts and use legal concepts
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Bilingualism is essential for Quebec professionals
- Thoroughness and organization
- Ability to make a good impression
- Good interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Good persuasion skills and aptitude for communication
- Good tolerance to stress
- Physical resistance (for a lot of travel and long working hours)