Regional sales managers have the strategic function of developing sales in a given geographic area (or sales territory). To build business, they forge special relationships with their company’s customers. They may establish strategic partnerships and are always seeking to build the loyalty of major customer accounts.
Regional sales managers are the contact people for the salespeople in their territories. They lead and manage sales teams in the field. To do this, they give prospecting orders and set the sales targets to be reached.
Regional managers work closely with top management and the marketing department. When new products are launched, they see to their promotion and commercialization. They are also the ones who provide salespeople with practical and technical information.
Regional sales managers are responsible for the results of their sales staff. As senior managers, their role is to ensure salesperson performance, implement assessments and propose training as required.
Education and skills
- Education: Diploma of college studies (DEC in Quebec) in business administration – marketing option or DEC in business management
- Proficiency in marketing, promotion and sales processes
- In-depth knowledge of products on the market
- Basic knowledge of receivables management
- Ability to assess sales and business results
- Sales experience in the field and with the public
- Excellent managerial skills
- Proven interpersonal skills
- Bilingualism, for Quebec professionals: excellent spoken and written English and French
- Analytical skills and ability to see the big picture
- Leadership and persuasion skills
- Organization skills
- Sense of responsibility
- Independence and resourcefulness